Here's a bullet-point summary of his report:
- 5G is not an incremental upgrade of 4G for phones
- It provides infrastructure for management and control of Internet of Things devices
- By 2020 there will be 50-500 billion(!) IoT devices connected -- most of these won't be smartphones
- Today's interconnections are too slow, insecure and unreliable
- 5G will require:
- Software Defined Networks
- Software Defined Storage
- Software Defined Radios
- High throughput
- Unbreakable security
- Low latency
Fitzek believes that all of these can be done, but it will require serious coordination.
Here's a link to the article from EE Times. http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1327901
5G Architecture diagram courtesy of Ericsson.