Saturday, November 24, 2012

CyanogenMod 4.1.2 on Nook Color

Hi, my name's Mark and I'm an iPad user.

Just thought I'd better get that out of the way.  I've used an iPad from day 1 and find it to be a very useful tool.  I use it every day for everything: email, facebook, movies, reading, as a VDI terminal, SSH, VNC - everything.

A couple of years ago, I thought it would be good to get some experience with Android, so I bought a Nook Color and loaded CyanogenMod Android on it's SD Card.

It worked, but it was a bit slow, apps crashed or didn't run, yadda yadda yadda.  A couple of months ago, I upgraded it with a newer N2ACards version and loaded up a bunch of apps.  It worked better.

I just upgraded my Nook Color Android to Jelly Bean using the N2A cards update. And I really like it.

Smooth upgrade, very easy to do - they provided video instructions and it was trivial.  I loaded TouchDown and hooked it up to my corporate account in a couple of minutes.  I also loaded VMLite VNC Server and was connected to it from my Mac in another couple of minutes.  Performance is also much better.

I may actually use it...

Here's a screen shot of the VNC Viewer running on the Mac:

If you're looking for a cheap and easy way to get into Android Jelly Bean - pick up a Nook Color and load it up.  Very nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment