Tuesday, February 3, 2015

A second serving of Raspberry Pi

Last month I blogged about an upcoming Intel product called the Compute Stick designed to run Windows for about $150. Now the Raspberry Pi Foundation just announced the release of their newest device and it looks like it will be able to run a version of Windows 10 for $35.

The Raspberry Pi 2 will use the WindowsOnDevices version of Windows 10 (the free version.) 

The new Pi is six times faster than the previous model with it’s quadcore 900 MHz ARM Cortex-A7 processor and 1G of RAM. And, while it’s considerably faster, it maintains backward compatibility with the previous models so any software developed for them will work on the newest release. I’ve put my order in and when Windows 10 is available, I’ll blog about it here.

These are great little devices for cheap prototyping - I've developed a proof-of-concept card-reader kiosk that I'll write about in a future blog.

Here’s a link with more information on the WindowsOnDevices program: http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/Windows-Developer-Program-for-IoT


No comments:

Post a Comment